Education Framework

Australian Education Framework

What is the ESOS Framework

The Education Services for Overseas Students or ESOS Act, provides the regulatory requirements for education and training institutions offering courses to international students in Australia on a student visa. ESOS provides tuition protection for international students.


The Education Services for Overseas Students Act 2000 (ESOS Act) and related legislation is designed to protect the interests of students coming to Australia on student visas. The legislation aims to protect and enhance Australia’s reputation for quality education, to provide tuition protection and support the integrity of the student visa program.

The ESOS Framework protects your rights including:

  • Your right to receive, before enrolling, current and accurate information about the courses, fees, modes of study and other information from your provider and your provider’s agent.
  • Your right to sign a written agreement with your provider before, or as you pay fees, setting out the services to be provided, fees payable and information about refunds of course fees.

Being an overseas student on a student visa, you have responsibilities to:

  • satisfy your student visa conditions
  • maintain your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the period of your stay
  • meet the terms of the written agreement with your education provider
  • inform your provider if you change your address
  • maintain satisfactory course progress
  • if attendance is recorded for your course, follow your provider’s attendance policy

Provider Registration

The Department of Education is responsible for the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS). Only education institutions registered under the ESOS Act and listed on CRICOS can enroll overseas students to study in Australia on a student visa.

Therefore, as an overseas student on a student visa, you must ensure that you study with an education provider and in a course that can be found on CRICOS. CRICOS registration guarantees that the course and the education provider at which you study meet the high standards necessary for overseas students.

Tuition Protection Service

The Tuition Protection Service (TPS) was established by Australian Government to assist international students whose education providers are unable to fully deliver their course of study. The TPS ensures that international students are able to either:

  • complete their studies in another course or with another education provider or
  • receive a refund of their unspent tuition fees.

Visit the TPS website: for more information.


The National Code 2007 is a legislative instrument of the ESOS Act and applies to providers of education to students on student visas in all sectors. The National Code requirements are in addition to the standards for specific sectors.

Information for students

The Australian Government is committed to ensuring you have a great education experience in Australia. The ESOS Act and related laws protect international students through:

  • The ESOS legislation and recent reforms
  • The National Code 2007
  • The Overseas Students Ombudsman
  • The Tuition Protection Service

Health Cover

If you are an International Student, it is a condition of your Student Visa that you have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the entire duration of your stay in Australia. OSHC gives you access to out-of-hospital and in-hospital medical services to help you maintain your health.

All international students are required to have Overseas Student Health Cover (OHSC), as part of their visa conditions. The College can arrange OSHC for students with Medibank (a private health insurer) for the appropriate amount.

OSHC covers most medical expenses for treatment from a doctor (including specialists), whether it is in hospital or at the doctor‘s surgery. It also covers a student for pathology services such as blood tests and x-rays, as well as emergency ambulance services. OSHC will not cover illness or disability that existed before the student arrived in Australia and that may require the student to undergo related medical treatment while studying for the first 12 months of their stay. It also does not cover dental and optometry costs but extra OSHC can be taken out to cover these services.

Further details regarding the exact conditions and costs of OSHC can be obtained from Medibank at /Overseas-Students/About-OSHC. You can also speak to our Administration staff who will also be able to provide you with a list of local doctors.

The approximate cost is $492.00 AUD for 12 months. Please check with for the current rates on OSHC.

Accommodation and Living Cost

The estimated living costs for an international student are approximately between $12,000 to $15,000 AUD per year. This covers food, accommodation, travel, entertainment and clothing.

Sample Monthly budget

Food: $200AUD to $350AUD 
Accommodation Fee: $400AUD – $600 AUD (for a room in a shared house or apartment) 
Public Transportation: $200AUD (trams / trains)

Accommodation Options for students

  • Homestay – Homestay services provide an opportunity to stay with an Australian family and experience the Australian culture and lifestyle.
  • Hostel Accommodation: This is a popular option for international students, especially in the first months of their arrival.
    1. A small, furnished room is provided with access to a shared bathroom, laundry, lounge.
    2. It is recommended that students considering Hostel accommodation options look at 2 or 3 properties prior to making a decision. Many hostels are privately run and as such come under the Rooming House Act. Please note, if a student signs a lease, they are covered by the Residential Tenancies Act.
  • Apartment / Flat rental varies greatly in cost and conditions. For long term arrangements, it is strongly advised that the student is familiar with the suburb or area. For the purpose of bond payment and moving arrangements the student must be available to sign agreements. For this reason, international students are advised to secure short term accommodation upon arrival so that flat and apartment hunting may be started after they have settled in and begun to seek out areas they would like to live in.

While NMC does not offer accommodation services or take any responsibility for accommodation arrangements, NMC can give students information regarding external accommodation services and are always available to discuss any issues or concerns a student may have with their accommodation arrangements.

Some local options include: 

ParticularsName & LocationContact Phone
Student Accommodation ServiceBarry Long West Melbourne Properties 121 Ireland St, West Melbourne Vic 3003Mob: 0408 102 635 Email:
Real Estate AgentRichard A. Simpson, 30 Errol Street, North Melbourne Vic 3051Phone +613 9328 1213 Fax + 6139329 9030 | Mobile 61 402 223 027
HotelQuest on Williams, 170 William Street, MelbournePhone : +613 9605 2222
Home stay OrganisationHomestay Direct Pty phone +613 96703133
HostelKing Street Backpackers,197 King Street, Melbourne1800115